February 23, 2017 is Digital Learning Day. This year’s focus for VBCPS students will be on Digital Citizenship.
To spread awareness for one aspect of digital citizenship, the Pod Squad has developed a lesson for It’s Academic classes. The lesson focuses on cultivating a positive presence on social media and includes information to help students assess the content and purpose of their posts.
Additional Digital Citizenship Resources
- YouTube Playlist “Digital Citizenship Lessons for High School Students” curated by Common Sense Education
- VBCPS Be Social. Be Smart. Be Safe.
- Infographic Digital Diet of American Teens
According to“Digital Learning Day was created as a way to spread innovative practices and ensure that all youth have access to high-quality learning opportunities no matter where they live.” We encourage you to take some time today to think about how the internet has impacted the way learners can access information.
Here at Ocean Lakes High School, we are proud of how many of our students are using online resources and capitalizing on the flexibility that anywhere, anytime, on demand learning opportunities provide.
Our school’s single sign-on Clever portal houses a variety of digital resources for our students to use both in and outside of school. Students can access Khan Academy, WELNET, iXL, Achieve 3000, and Code Academy, just to name a few.
Below you will find links to just a few more resources that we think our students and staff will find useful and can easily add to their digital learning toolbox.
- Visit the Virginia Department of Education site for more information regarding technology initiatives.
- Newseum ED -Free learning tools on media literacy and our First Amendment freedoms
- Spark 101 -Where professional passion meets classroom inspiration.