If you’re a fan of URL shorteners, check out TLDRify. The bookmarklet tool is quick and easy!
What Does It Do? TL;DR-ify (or Too Long; Didn’t Read) is a web-based tool that allows users to create a shortened link to any text on the internet. Users can share selected text on the internet using a shortened URL. Once the shortened URL is opened, the selected text appears as highlighted text within the context of original article/post/site (see example below).
How Does It Work?
The web tool is free and doesn’t require downloads, accounts, or logins. Visit http://tldrify.com/ for step-by-step instructions. The process is incredibly easy; there are only FOUR steps!
Limitation – TL;DR-ify must be used on the Chrome browser.
- Users can install the TLDRify Chrome extension. The extension appears to be in its infancy, but if you use Chrome extensions more than bookmarks, you may prefer this option.
- Create an account to archive TLDRify links. Account creation does NOT require email validation, so students may use their VBCPS email accounts (email@example.com) to create an account.
Why Would I Use it? Use TLDRify any time others may not have time to read an entire page on the web! Check out some other uses below.
- Targeted Analysis – Share a meaningful quote/passage for student analysis or response.
- Clue Creation – Prepare digital clues for a BreakoutEDU game!
- Save Time – Instead of paraphrasing information, share direct links to relevant information (open house, make-up days, Big Chill, etc.) with parents and students.
- Save Sources – Highlight relevant information and save shortened URLs to for research.
- Streamline Collaboration – Share specific information with group members to complete tasks more efficiently.